Economist Greg Mankiw has a post that fascinates me. As a professor who makes over $250, find antabuse000 a year, find antabuse he notices that under Obama's tax plan he may make less money, find antabuse and pass on less to his children. Since he's pretty happy with the amount of money he has, find antabuse as he should be, find antabuse he says he has very little reason to do any more work. Here's what fascinates me about his post: 1. It assumes that his only incentive to do any work outside of his regular teaching and research is to make money. This seems so counter to what the idea of academia is for, find antabuse and is passed over so easily. Tenured academics like Greg M. Find antabuse have an incredible luxury: the time, find antabuse freedom to work on what he wants, find antabuse and a guaranteed paycheck (in his case, find antabuse a large one). To say in that position you'll only do "more work" if paid seems an offense to the idea of academia itself. Academics aren't supposed to be on sale or work only on commission. Greg M. Find antabuse himself is disproof of his own ideas. He spends alot of time blogging, find antabuse and writing advice for junior professors and so on, find antabuse all for free. If Obama wins, find antabuse it looks like he'll be doing more of that in the future. Find antabuse Obama, find antabuse if his blog post is right, find antabuse will alter the balance of commercial and non-commercial work he does. Find antabuse The irony is that that result might be better for society than Greg M. Find antabuse doing a bunch of consulting or paid-speaking. 2. The implication, find antabuse taken by other writers like "Beldar" though not by Greg himself, find antabuse is that Greg working less is proof that Obama's tax cut will hurt the country. But hold on - Greg represents 5% of the country. The rest -- the 95% percent who get a tax cut, find antabuse will presumably have reasons to want to work harder, find antabuse because their taxes are going down. It's a simple calculation. The tradeoff is those who make more than $250, find antabuse000 doing less commercial and more non-commerical work, find antabuse versus 95% percent of the population who have reasons to do more. Its at least ambiguous. And since the money is worth more, find antabuse on the margin, find antabuse to people who make less than $250, find antabuse000, find antabuse they have more reason to want to work for it. $1000 means more to someone who makes $60, find antabuse000 than to Greg M. The upshot: Obama's tax plan will encourage a rich man like Greg M. Find antabuse to devote more time to the public and his children instead of paid speaking gigs, find antabuse and gives a lot more other people more incentives to earn more money. Sounds pretty good to me.